Chili Con CarneFrom jmlompa 2 years ago
- 1 1/3 - 2 lbs. of ground meat cooked, drained and salted shopping list
- 1 brown onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 30 oz. cans of tomato sauce shopping list
- 2 diced, fresh anaheim chiles (long, light-green, rather mild chiles) shopping list
- 1/2-1 small-medium fresh jalapeno chile, diced shopping list
- (use latex-type gloves to dice the chiles, remove and discard) shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder shopping list
- 1/2 Tbsp. paprika shopping list
- dash of red pepper (if you're a hot-head) shopping list
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic, crushed, or garlic powder shopping list
- 1 can of ready-cut diced and peeled tomatoes with juice shopping list
- 1 15 oz. can of Heinz vegetarian beans shopping list
- 1 can of kidney beans shopping list
- salt, if desired shopping list
How to make it
- This recipe can be done in one pot. I usually use a Dutch Oven or similar size vessel.
- Cook, drain and salt meat. Return to pot and add chopped raw onion to cook. When the onion is translucent, add tomato sauce. Chop green chiles with gloves on, and add to tomato/meat mixture. Stir. Add more sauce if it's too thick for your taste. Next, add spices. Stir and let simmer for 30-45 minutes, until the spices have a chance to meld into the meat and the chiles become soft and translucent. Adjust spices and salt if desired. Add ready-cut tomatoes, beans and stir gently, as to not destroy the integrity of the beans and diced tomatoes. Let chili simmer for another 20-30 minutes, as the beans will soak up spices and flavors.
- Serve with shredded sharp cheddar cheese, crackers or french bread.
The Cookjmlompa Soquel, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!