Easy Spicy Black Bean SoupFrom huminbrd56 3 years ago
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped shopping list
- 2-3 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped shopping list
- 2 large carrots, sliced and chopped shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced, crushed, or minced shopping list
- 2 15-oz cans organic black beans, drained, salt-free, if you can find them shopping list
- 1 32 oz box low salt organic vegetable broth or organic chicken broth shopping list
- 14 - 16 oz cubed cooked ham shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. cumin shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper shopping list
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese shopping list
- sour cream for dollops - about 4 oz. shopping list
- Optional: Omit ham and add juice of 1/2 lime, fresh cilantro, and serve with fried tortilla strips. shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oil in a large pot or deep fry pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, jalapeno, carrot, and garlic all at once.
- Cook 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender crisp.
- Mix in both cans of beans and the broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Mix in ham, cumin, and pepper.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Garnish with shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
- Can also be served with fresh cilantro, lime juice, and fried tortilla strips.
The Cookhuminbrd56 Concord, North Carolina
- Not added to any groups yet!