Zucchini PicklesFrom hottiehere08 3 years ago
- 2 pounds small zucchini (preferably about 4" or 8" long), trimmed shopping list
- 4 tablespoons coarse sea salt or pickling salt, divided shopping list
- 12 fresh dill sprigs shopping list
- 2 teaspoons yellow or brown mustard seeds shopping list
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dill seeds shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads shopping list
- 4 garlic cloves, halved shopping list
- 4 red jalapeños or Fresno chiles, split lengthwise shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups white wine vinegar shopping list
- 1/4 cup sugar shopping list
How to make it
- If using 4" zucchini, halve lengthwise. If using 8" zucchini, halve crosswise, then quarter lengthwise. Place in a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons salt and 4 cups ice. Add cold water to cover. Top with a plate to keep submerged. Let sit for 2 hours. Drain; rinse.
- Divide dill sprigs and next 6 ingredients between 2 clean, hot 1-quart jars; set aside.
- Bring vinegar, sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons salt, and 1 1/4 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Working in batches, add zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, until khaki in color and slightly pliable, about 2 minutes. Using tongs, transfer zucchini to jars.
- Divide hot syrup between jars to cover zucchini, leaving 1/2" space on top. Wipe rims, seal, and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Allow at least a week to pickle before eating.
The Cookhottiehere08 Spring Port, Michigan
- Not added to any groups yet!