Herbed Mediterranean Chickpea PattiesFrom twohot 2 years ago
- 1 small onion, finely diced \ shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced shopping list
- 19 oz (540 mL) can chickpeas, drained shopping list
- 2 cups (500 mL) fresh spinach leaves or baby spinach shopping list
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely chopped fresh rosemary or ½ tsp (2 mL) dried rosemary,crumbled shopping list
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano leaves shopping list
- 1 tsp (5 mL) freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 cup (250 mL) crumbled feta cheese shopping list
- ½ cup (125 mL) grated parmesan cheese shopping list
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten shopping list
- ¼ cup (50 mL) vegetable oil - shopping list
How to make it
- Set a medium size pan over medium heat and sauté finely diced onions and minced garlic until soft, about 7 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place drained chickpeas and spinach leaves in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until mixture is crumbly. In a large bowl combine sautéed onions and garlic with chickpeas, spinach, rosemary, oregano, pepper, feta cheese, Parmesan cheese and lightly beaten eggs. Using a ¼ cup (50 mL) measure scoop out and shape mixture into 10 or 12 patties and place onto a large baking sheet. Patties can be frozen at this stage (*see note) and cooked from frozen on a later date.
- Place prepared patties into refrigerator for one hour, or overnight, if preparing from fresh to help them keep their shape when cooking.
- To cook patties:
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Add 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil to a large pan and set over medium low heat.
- Carefully place chilled or frozen patties, maybe 3 to 4 into the pan at a time (do not overcrowd pan) and fry on each side for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until browned. Repeat process adding more oil to pan if needed, until all patties have been browned. Patties can be frozen at this stage (*see note).
- Return patties to a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Serve hot.
- *To freeze patties:
- Place individual raw or cooked prepared patties onto a cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Freeze overnight. Remove from cookie sheet and store them in a sealed bag or plastic container, in the freezer, until ready to use. Patties can be cooked from frozen.
- Suggested ways to serve:
- Patties are great topped with tzatziki or salsa. Serve with salad or soup. Great stuffed into pita pockets for lunch or served as veggie burgers. For brunch top patties with a poached egg. They are delicious cold from the fridge too.
- Easy saucy toppers:
People Who Like This Dish 0
- twohot Montreal, CANDADA
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cooktwohot Montreal, CANDADA
- Not added to any groups yet!