Taco Stuffed Zucchini BoatsFrom CTSandy 3 months ago
- 4 medium (32 ounces) zucchinis cut in half lenghwise shopping list
- 1/2 cup mild salsa shopping list
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey shopping list
- 1 tsp garlic powder shopping list
- 1 tsp cumin shopping list
- 1 tsp kosher salt or to taste shopping list
- 1 tsp chili powder shopping list
- 1 tsp paprika shopping list
- 1/2 tsp oregano shopping list
- 1/2 small onion, minced shopping list
- 2 tbsp bell pepper, minced shopping list
- 4 oz can tomato sauce shopping list
- 1/4 cup water shopping list
- 1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican blend shredded cheese shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions or cilantro, for topping shopping list
How to make it
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place 1/4 cup salsa in bottom of a large baking dish (I used 1/2 cup of salsa).
- Using a small spoon or melon baller, hollow out the center of the zucchini halves, leaving 1/4 inch thick shell on each half. Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces and set aside 3/4 of a cup to add to the taco filling, discarding the rest or save to use in another recipe. Drop zucchini halves in boiling water and cook for 1 minute. Remove from water and set aside.
- Brown turkey in a large skillet, breaking up while it cooks. When no longer pink add the spices and mix well. Add the onion, bell pepper, reserved zucchini, tomato sauce and water. Stir and cover, simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Using a spoon, fill the hollowed zucchini boats dividing the taco meat equal, about 1/3 cup in each, pressing firmly. Top each with 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through. Top with scallions or cilantro and serve with salsa on the side.