Vegan Black Bean SoupFrom mommywalker 5 years ago
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 stalk celery, chopped shopping list
- 2 carrots, chopped shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chili powder shopping list
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin shopping list
- 1 pinch black pepper shopping list
- 4 cups vegetable broth shopping list
- 4 (15 ounce) cans black beans (or 4 cups of dried beans, soaked overnight and then boiled for about 2 hours until tender. This will make the equiv. of 4 cans/8 cups of beans - see note in directions if choosing this method) shopping list
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn shopping list
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Saute onion, celery, carrots and garlic for 5 minutes. Season with chili powder, cumin, and black pepper; cook for 1 minute. Stir in vegetable broth, 2 cans of beans, and corn. Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, process remaining 2 cans beans and tomatoes until smooth. Stir into boiling soup mixture, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- *If choosing the dry bean method, boil the beans ahead of time, drain and then use 4 cups in the main soup and then 4 cups in the blender with the tomatoes to be added later.