French Onion SoupFrom castingcook 9 years ago
- 6 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 8 medium size onions, sliced thinly shopping list
- 4 thyme sprigs, leaves stripped shopping list
- 1/2 cup sherry shopping list
- 4 cups brown chicken stock shopping list
- 2 cups veal stock shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- French bread croutons (toasted bread cubes) shopping list
- 2 cups grated gruyere cheese shopping list
How to make it
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, add butter and melt over medium heat.
- Add the onions and lower the heat to medium low. Add the thyme leaves and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions start to turn golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Add the sherry and cook until the sherry is almost completely evaporated and the onions are brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add the stocks and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and simmer for 30 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Ladle the soup into 8 oven-proof soup bowls.
- Place the soup bowls on a sheet pan. Place the croutons on top of the soup, to cover.
- Top each bowl with 1/2 cup grated cheese.
- Place in the oven and cook until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly, about 10 minutes.
The Cookcastingcook Los Angeles, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!