Mashed Potato and Shallot CasseroleFrom ern 5 years ago
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 3 - 4 medium shallots, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar shopping list
- 3 1/2 pounds yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2" pieces (8 cups) *Russet or red potatoes can be substituted, however the yukon gold potatoes give a golden color to the casserole. shopping list
- 4 ounces light cream cheeses shopping list
- 3/4 cup light sour cream shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spray a 2 1/2 quart casserole with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots, stir to coat with butter, and then sprinkle with sugar. Cook until the shallots are golden, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Put the potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with salted water, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until tender, about 20-25 minutes. While the potatoes are cooking, beat together cream cheese, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Stir in the cooked shallots.
- Drain potatoes and mash with potato masher or ricer. Add the cream cheese mixture and mix until fluffy and smooth. Do not over-mix as potatoes will become gummy. Spread the potato mixture evenly in the prepared casserole dish. Cover and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove the cover and continue to bake for 10 more minutes