Chicken StockFrom dreamweaver 7 years ago
- 1 3 to4 lb chicken, cut into pieces shopping list
- 16 cups water shopping list
- 2 stalks celery shopping list
- 2 medium onions, quartered shopping list
- 1 Tbsp salt shopping list
- 10 peppercorns shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 4 quart or 8 pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands shopping list
How to make it
- PREPARE pressure canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- COMBINE chicken and water in a large saucepot. Bring to a boil. Add remaining ingredients. Return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 2 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove from heat. Skim off foam.
- REMOVE chicken from stock, reserving chicken for another use. Strain stock through a sieve or several layers of cheesecloth. Allow stock to cool until fat solidifies. Skim off fat.
- HEAT stock to a boil.
- LADLE hot stock into hot jars leaving 1 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS filled jars in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure 20 minutes for pints and 25 minutes for quarts, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
The Cookdreamweaver Galeton, PA
- Not added to any groups yet!