Best Cheese Soup EverFrom neidl32 8 years ago
- 4 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 2 cups finely chopped onions shopping list
- 4 tablespoons flour shopping list
- 2 cups beef stock shopping list
- 2 cups whole milk shopping list
- kosher salt shopping list
- fresh ground pepper shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper shopping list
- 2 cups (1/4 pound) freshly grated or shredded sharp cheddar cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the butter in a soup kettle. Add the onions, and cook over medium low heat stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are very soft but not brown.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring all the time, for 3-4 minutes. Do not brown.
- Gradually stir in beef stock.
- Cook, covered over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add milk, salt, black pepper, and cayenne to taste. Don't add too much salt since the cheese will be salty as well.
- Bring to the boiling point, to let out flavors. Then reduce heat to low and stir in the cheese.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted and soup is very hot.
- Serve in warmed bowls or mugs and enjoy!