Mushroom and Goat Cheese Bechamel PizzasFrom blackcupcake 4 years ago
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups milk shopping list
- 2 ounces fresh goat cheese, thickly sliced shopping list
- Freshly grated nutmeg shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 pound pizza dough shopping list
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing shopping list
- 1 garlic clove, smashed shopping list
- 1 pound assorted fresh mushrooms, such as porcini, white button and stemmed shiitake, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 500°. Preheat a pizza stone or generously oil a large baking sheet. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat.
- Stir in the 3 tablespoons of flour until a paste forms.
- Gradually pour in the milk, whisking until smooth.
- Bring the béchamel sauce to a simmer over moderately high heat, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook, whisking often, until no floury taste remains, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the goat cheese until melted. Season the sauce with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Cut the pizza dough into 4 pieces.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out each piece to a 6-inch round.
- Dust the rounds with flour and let rest until slightly puffed, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the smashed garlic clove and cook over moderate heat until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned, about 15 minutes.
- Discard the garlic. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper and stir in the thyme leaves.
- Roll out one of the dough rounds to form a 9-inch round.
- Transfer the round to the peel and brush the edge of the dough with olive oil. Spread 1/3 cup of the béchamel over the dough and scatter one-fourth of the mushrooms on top.
- Transfer the round to the pizza stone and bake for about 5 minutes, until the edges are crisp and the béchamel is bubbling.
- Transfer the pizza to a work surface, cut into wedges and serve. Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.