Mutafayeh-- Marrow Squash in yogurt cold casseroleFrom tetamalu 6 years ago
- 6 medium size courgettes (marrow squash) or zucchini shopping list
- ½ C rice, washed and soaking in hot water shopping list
- 2 Cups yogurt—ewe yogurt is preferable, but cow is OK shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 3 cloves crushed garlic shopping list
- 2 Tbs butter shopping list
- 1 Tbs dried mint shopping list
How to make it
- Cut six medium courgettes or marrow squash in 1” chunks. Add small amount of water,--3/4 cup, and a dash of salt, bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat while you prepare the following:
- ½ C rice, washed and soaking in hot water
- 2 Cups yogurt—ewe yogurt is preferable, but cow is OK
- 1 egg
- Combine egg and yogurt through a sieve into a large kettle. Over medium to high heat, let bubble, then add rice, stirring constantly. Test the rice after 10 minutes, to see it is done. Then about every 5 minutes until rice is tender, If it becomes too thick add liquid from squash.
- Remove squash from the heat drain, reserving liquid. Gently fold into the yogurt, and continue to simmer slowly. The consistency should be like thick cream. If too thick, thin with reserved liquid.
- In a small fry pan sauté smashed garlic—about 3 cloves, just until it looses its opacity, then stir into the yogurt. Add salt to taste. Crumble a generous tablespoon of dried mint into the sauce. Then pour into one or more large open dishes, like Pyrex, and let cool. It can also be poured into individual servings like pudding dishes. Best eaten cold or just tepid.