Basic Tomato SauceFrom michaelc 8 years ago
- 1 1/2 medium onions, diced shopping list
- 6 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 large can (28oz) tomato puree shopping list
- 1 large can (28oz) crushed tomatoes shopping list
- 3 tblsp basil, dried or chopped fine shopping list
- 2 tblsp oregano, dried or chopped fine shopping list
- 1 tblsp thyme, dried or chopped fine shopping list
- 2 tblsp sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup flavorful liquid (red wine is best, but broth, beer and veg juice also work well) shopping list
- pinch of red pepper flakes shopping list
- olive oil, salt and pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Place a large pot (with a tight fitting lid) over medium heat.
- Coat bottom of pot with olive oil and add onions and garlic. Sautee until soft.
- Add canned tomatoes, liquid, herbs, sugar, pepper flakes and a tblsp each of salt and pepper to pot, stirring thoroughly. Put lid on pot and raise heat to high.
- Once sauce begins to bubble, reduce to a simmer and cook for at least 30 more minutes, checking for seasoning as you go.
- Be Careful! Nothing jumps, splatters and burns quite like tomato based sauces. Use a large pot than you think you'll need, and keep the lid on as much as possible.
- For a smoother sauce run through an immersion blender
The Cookmichaelc Rosedale, NY
- Not added to any groups yet!