Roasted Pink Banana Squash with Farfalle and Wild MushroomsFrom gennymac 7 years ago
- 16 cups water shopping list
- 2 tablespoons salt shopping list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided shopping list
- 1 pound farfalle (bow tie) pasta shopping list
- 3 pounds pink banana squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch cubes shopping list
- 1/2 cup melted butter shopping list
- 1 cup brown sugar shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme shopping list
- 1 tablespoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper shopping list
- 1/2 cup butter shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots shopping list
- 3 tablespoons chiffonade fresh sage shopping list
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped garlic shopping list
- 3 cups sliced assorted mushrooms, shiitake, crimini, oyster, porcini, chanterelle, enoki, or portabellos (only if gills are removed, or they will discolor the dish) shopping list
- 1 cup dry sherry shopping list
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste shopping list
- fresh sage sprigs, garnish shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add salt and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add pasta to the boiling water, stirring gently until al dente, approximately 10 to 12 minutes.
- Strain, cool with running cold water, and toss in remaining olive oil. Set aside.
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350 F.
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat, melt the 1/2 cup butter, stirring constantly, until milk solids separate and begin to brown. You will smell a slightly nutty smell when properly browned.
- Remove from the heat immediately and plunge into an ice bath to stop the cooking process; set aside to cool.
- Pour off the brown butter, leaving the sediment in the pan.
- Reserve sediment.
- Place the melted butter, sugar, thyme, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the squash and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a parchment-lined baking pan.
- Oven roast until tender, about 15 minutes. Let cool and set aside.
- In a very large skillet heat half of the browned butter.
- Cook the shallots and sage over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic, cook for 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they release their moisture.
- Add the sherry and reduce by half.
- Add the squash, pasta, and remaining browned butter, including the sediment. Cook until pasta is heated through, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh sage sprigs and chopped parsley
People Who Like This Dish 1
- gennymac Covington, Georgia
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookgennymac Covington, Georgia
- Not added to any groups yet!