Duck Confit Over Fall Squash Risotto Wild Mushroom Foam White Truffle OilFrom chefpark 5 years ago
- 6 decent sized duck Legs shopping list
- arborio rice shopping list
- chicken stock shopping list
- garlic shopping list
- yellow onions shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- rosemary shopping list
- thyme shopping list
- parsley shopping list
- parmesan cheese shopping list
- Dried mushroom(in this case Chanterelles, Shiitake, Porcini. shopping list
- butternut, Acorn, kabocha squash shopping list
- heavy cream shopping list
- Pinot Grigio (any table grigio will do just as long as its not bad,) shopping list
- butter shopping list
- kosher salt shopping list
- olive, White Truffle, Extra Virgin oil shopping list
How to make it
- For the Duck Confit:
- Preheat oven to 220F Degrees. Place fresh herbs, well dried, into a food processor with the salt and pulse till salt turns green. Set aside, prep duck by trimming excess fat and placing in pan on LOW heat to render fat. Rub "Green Salt" over duck legs about 3 tsp all over legs. Once seasoned place duck legs into hotel pan or any deep oven safe cookware and pour a mixture of evo, canola, and duck fat, into the dish. Cover with plastic and foil and place in oven at 220f for 8 hours.
- For the Foam:
- Reconstitute dried mushrooms in hot water don’t boil just place mushrooms in hot water and set aside, So once the duck is about an hour away from being done, sweat 1/4 cup yellow onions and garlic until translucent, in the mean time strain the mushrooms BUT KEEP THE JUICE!!! Squeeze the remaining juice out of the mushrooms, add ½ of the juice from the mushrooms, then turn heat to high add the mushrooms until sizzling happens, deglaze pan or pot with 1 cup of pinot grigio and 2 tbsp of chicken stock and finish with a knob of butter. Once the sauce comes to a simmer add 1 cup of heavy cream, heavily season sauce more than you usually would since its going to be a foam and not a straight sauce you want it to be stronger than usual. Wait till it comes back to a boil, turn off heat place in cO2 Powered canister, and set aside for later use.
- For the Risotto:
- Heat Chicken Stock in separate pot, grab another big pot sauté onions and garlic. Once garlic has toasted and onions are translucent, add ½ a box of the rice and a knob of butter. Sauté for a few mins until each grain of rice has a nice coating of butter, add about 1 cup of the grigio and stir constantly until the rice has soaked up the wine. Then add a ladle of hot chicken stock at a time while stirring and making sure the rice soaks up the stock before adding another ladle. When rice becomes al dente or how you like the texture of the rice, add blanched squashes then turn heat to low add, 2 tbsp of butter, ½ cup of grated FRESH Parmesan cheese, and season with salt and pepper.
- Plate however you’d like but I enjoy a healthy portion of risotto on the bottom of the plate, a duck leg on top with the bone upwards in the air, a little foam on top of the duck as well as around the plate surrounding the risotto. Drizzle a tiny bit of White truffle oil around and garnish with thyme sprig.