Vietnamese Chicken Pineapple SoupFrom darbar 7 years ago
- 1 pineapple (preferably labeled "extra sweet"; about 3 1/2 lb) shopping list
- About 2 qt water shopping list
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (3/4 lb total) shopping list
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil shopping list
- 4 (1-inch) fresh red Thai chiles*, minced, including seeds shopping list
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic shopping list
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce shopping list
- 1/2 lb fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps thinly sliced shopping list
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped (2 cups) shopping list
- 1 cup fresh mung bean sprouts (2 oz) shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper shopping list
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil shopping list
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint shopping list
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh lemon verbena shopping list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- Accompaniment: rice shopping list
How to make it
- Cut peel from pineapple in a thin layer and discard, then trim outer layer of pineapple, cutting just deep enough to remove eyes but allowing pineapple to remain intact, and transfer trimmings to a blender. Quarter pineapple lengthwise and cut out core, then coarsely chop core and transfer to blender. Purée with 2 cups water until smooth. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a 2-quart glass measure, pressing hard on solids (discard solids), then add enough water to measure 8 cups pineapple broth.
- Cut remaining pineapple into 1/2-inch pieces and put in a bowl.
- Place chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Gently pound chicken 1/4 inch thick with flat side of a meat pounder or with a rolling pin. Cut chicken across the grain into 1/4-inch-wide strips and transfer to a bowl, then chill, covered.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 5- to 6-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté chiles and 2 tablespoons garlic, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add 1/4 cup fish sauce and boil until sauce is reduced by half, about 2 minutes. (Fish sauce will be extremely pungent when first added but will have a mild flavor in soup.) Add pineapple broth and bring to a boil. Stir in pineapple pieces, mushrooms, tomatoes, bean sprouts, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. While soup simmers, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté remaining tablespoon garlic, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add remaining 2 tablespoons fish sauce and simmer until sauce is reduced by half, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper and add to garlic mixture, then sauté, stirring, until just cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Stir chicken into soup along with herbs and salt and simmer 1 minute.
- *Available at Southeast Asian markets and some specialty produce markets.
The Cookdarbar Elmhurst, IL
- Not added to any groups yet!