Calf Liver with Apples and OnionsFrom darbar 7 years ago
- 4 slices of lean bacon shopping list
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter shopping list
- 2 large onions, sliced thin shopping list
- 3 granny smith apples shopping list
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar shopping list
- 1 teaspoon sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup dry white wine shopping list
- 1 1/2 pounds calf's liver, sliced 1/3 inch thick and cut into 2- by 1-inch strips shopping list
- finely chopped fresh parsley leaves plus additional sprigs for garnish shopping list
- lemon wedges for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- In a large skillet cook the bacon over moderate heat until it is crisp, transfer it to paper towels to drain, and pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat. To the fat remaining in the skillet add 2 tablespoons of the butter and cook the onions in the fat over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until they are softened and light golden. Add the apples, cored and cut into eighths, and cook the mixture until the apples are light golden. Add the vinegar, the sugar, and the wine, bring the mixture to a boil, and boil it for 3 minutes, or until it is thickened. Transfer the mixture to a heated platter.
- In the skillet, cleaned, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over high heat until the foam subsides and in it sauté the liver, patted dry, turning it, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until it is browned and slightly pink within. Arrange the liver over the apple mixture, sprinkle the bacon, crumbled, and the chopped parsley over it, and garnish the platter with the parsley sprigs and the lemon wedges.
The Cookdarbar Elmhurst, IL
The Rating1 people
What a wonderful dish....the addition of apples complements the onions beautifully. Good stuff, might even convert the liver hater I live with....maybe? Thanks for the post.notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!