Grilled Achiote ChickenFrom midgelet 4 years ago
- Marinade: shopping list
- 1/4 cup lime juice shopping list
- 1/4 cup olive oil shopping list
- 1 tablespoon achiote paste shopping list
- Leaves from one bunch oregano or 1 tablespoon dry shopping list
- 3 tablespoons salt shopping list
- Black or chili pepper, to taste shopping list
- One 4- to 6-pound whole chicken shopping list
How to make it
- Note: The prep time does not include the marinate time or the rest time after chicken is cooked.
- Purée marinade ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Taste for salt, pepper and acid levels and adjust as needed.
- Cut backbone out of chicken and cut breast bone so it lies flat.
- Rub chicken with marinade paste, place in a nonmetallic container and marinate in refrigerator for at least one hour, preferably overnight.
- Grill whole chicken over medium heat for 20 minutes, turning every 4 to 5 minutes.
- You want to get the skin crispy but not burned.
- You can grill it for 5 minutes on the grill (to get grill marks on the skin) then finish it in a preheated oven of 425 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes.
- When it is cooked, let it rest for 20 minutes. (Chicken is done when a meat thermometer inserted in thigh reaches 180 degrees without touching bone, and 170 degrees in breast.)
- We usually cut a chicken this size into eight pieces: drumsticks, thighs, two breasts and the wing on each side.
- This chicken also tastes great cold.
- We serve this with pickled onions and avocado on the side.
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating3 people
Cooking Chicken203 members
You Grill Girl And Boys10 members
Low Carb110 members
MEXICAN FOOD424 members
Tailgate Time129 members
Chicken Its Whats For DInner119 members
Chicken Please144 members
Chief Jons Grill Masters56 members
Cookin With Chicken65 members
Chicken Little166 members