Half Moon PieFrom kimichka25 7 years ago
- 2 c all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/2 C. vegetable shortening shopping list
- 1/3 C. water (cold) shopping list
- 3/4 C. sugar shopping list
- 1/2 C. cocoa powder (unsweetened) shopping list
- 1 Stick margarine -- cold shopping list
- oil shopping list
- Cast-iron skillet (preferred) shopping list
- Powered sugar (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- For crust:
- Sift flour and salt together; cut in the shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knifes, until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Add ice water a little at a time while tossing with a fork, until dough holds together. Do not get too moist.
- Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut into circles about five inches in diameter.
- To fill:
- Mix cocoa powder with the sugar.
- Place 2-3 tablespoons of this mixture onto one half of the circle
- Place 3 very thin slices of cold margarine on top.
- Fold opposite side over mixture and seal with a fork dipped in flour.
- To cook:
- Pour oil to a depth of about 1/2 inch in your skillet.
- Heat over medium-high heat until very hot.
- Place pies in a single layer in oil and fry until golden.
- Dust with powdered sugar if desired (you don't need it, but it makes them pretty)
- Note: It's best to use peanut or safflower oil or solid vegetable shortening for frying.. don't try to skimp and be all healthy here... you did (after all) decide to make a FRIED pie.
- Shortcut: If you don't want to make the crust yourself, you can also buy a can of biscuits at the store and roll those out, or make biscuit mix from a box (this way isn't quite the same, tho).
The Cookkimichka25 Any Town, USA, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!