Pan Bagnat With Smoked Mozzarella SandwichFrom choclytcandy 5 years ago
- basil Vinaigrette: shopping list
- 1 cup basil leaves (loosely packed), roughly chopped shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped shopping list
- 6 tbs virgin olive oil shopping list
- 2 tbs Parmesan or romano cheese, freshly grated shopping list
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar shopping list
- salt shopping list
- pepper shopping list
- Pan Bagnat Ingredients: shopping list
- 1 large or 2 medium ripe tomatoes shopping list
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced shopping list
- Several inner stalks of celery, diced shopping list
- 4 scallions, white parts plus a few greens, minced shopping list
- 4-6 marinated artichoke hearts, quartered ad roughly chopped shopping list
- 1 large red bell pepper, grilled, and diced shopping list
- 15-20 nicoise olives, pitted and chopped shopping list
- 3 tbs pine nuts, pan roasted until lightly browned shopping list
- Four 6oz hard rolls shopping list
- 4 oz fresh or smoked mozzarella cheese, sliced shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare the vinaigrette and set aside:
- Basil Vinaigrette Directions:
- Puree the basil and garlic in a blender with olive oil. Scrape it into a bowl, stir in the cheese, and then add the vinegar, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Pan Bagnat Directions:
- Cut the cores out of the tomatoes, slice them in half horizontally, and gently squeeze out the seeds and juice. Chop them coarsely into pieces about 1/2-inch square.
- Combine the tomatoes with the other vegetables and the pine nuts, and dress with the vinaigrette. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Slice off the top third of each roll. Pull out the soft bread inside (save it for bread crumbs if you like). Take care to leave the bottom of the roll intact. Layer the vegetables and the cheese into the hollowed rolls and replace the tops.
- Press down the sandwich; then wrap it and set it aside. Serve now or wait an hour for the the flavors to merge and develop.