Simple Fried Sweet PotatoesFrom twill10 6 years ago
How to make it
- Heat butter in a large heavy skillet. When butter is melted, add the sliced sweet potatoes. Cover and lower heat. After about 5 minutes, uncover and turn the sweet potatoes with a spatula. Cover and continue to cook until tender, another 5 minutes. Check frequently to make sure the potatoes don't burn. Uncover and continue to cook for a few minutes, to glaze the potatoes. Serve hot.
- You can also peel the potatoes and boil for about 5 min. then slice 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and saute in a melted brown sugar and butter mixture til done.
- The butter would work better for higher heat if it was clarified (heated and all particles that don't melt removed, just pure liquid left).
- You can add cinnamon, brown sugar or any number of spices. I am going to top mine with candied pecans, but my wife likes marshmallows and cashews on her sweet potatoes. I also like a little maple syrup or Molasses added.
- I made these for thanksgiving and I made a simple syrup(1 to 1 sugar and water) added a small amount of cinnamon and a little maple syrup and about a tsp of vanilla extract with about half a stick of un-salted butter.I let syrup thicken and covered the yams
- about half way up. I used 4 large yams I sliced them about 1/2 thick and layered them standing on the edge in a a large baking dish. I let them cook awhile and then put on the glazed pecans this was a very much talked about dish at the meal. I did boil yams about 5 min. before slicing.
The Cooktwill10 Cape Girardeau, MO
- Not added to any groups yet!