Hungarian Pork And Sauerkraut Casserole Kolovzsvari KaposztaFrom heraldkiara 4 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Run cold water through sauerkraut and drain well; blot with paper towels (kraut will still be pretty damp). In wide-bottom pan (dutch oven or sauteuse), melt 2 tbsp lard over medium heat. Add sauerkraut, stir, cover and let cook for 5 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.
- In another pan, saute onion in 1 tbsp lard over medium heat until onion is clear. Add ground meat, stir, and cook over medium heat until meat is lightly browned. Cover and let cook another 5 minutes or so.
- Bring water to boil in small saucepan, add rice, boil five minutes, blanch, then add to meat mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook meat and rice mixture for a few minutes longer.
- Assemble in 8" square (or similar size) casserole dish: a layer of sauerkraut, then a layer of the meat mixture, then a few tbsp of sour cream scattered over the meat. Continue, alternating, until dish is full. Cover and bake in 400 degree oven for 25 - 30 minutes. May be served immediately.
- If using as a main dish, will serve 6.