Fresh Vegetable Chicken Clean-the-fridge SoupFrom heraldkiara 7 years ago
- 2 12 oz can chunk white chicken in water, rinsed and drained shopping list
- (or appx 1 lb precooked chicken breast, shredded) shopping list
- 8 oz pkg sliced fresh mushrooms, chopped into quarters shopping list
- 3 c baby carrots, chopped into thirds shopping list
- 3 stalks celery, chopped shopping list
- 1 lg green bell pepper, seeded and chopped shopping list
- 1/4 c chopped onion shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped shopping list
- 5 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil, divided shopping list
- 32 oz box reduced-sodium chicken broth or stock shopping list
- 1/4 tsp dried tarragon shopping list
- 4 shakes dill weed shopping list
- 3 shakes ground white pepper shopping list
- 3 shakes ground coriander shopping list
How to make it
- Rinse and press as much water as possible from chicken. Heat chicken in nonstick Dutch oven over medium heat. Saute dry, stirring, for about 3 minutes to dry out the chicken a bit. Turn heat to high-medium and stir about 2 tbsp olive oil into chicken. Continue to saute, stirring, for 3-5 minutes; add another 1 tbsp olive oil and saute, stirring, for about another 3 minutes. Chicken is done when it begins to look just a bit dry and stringy. Remove chicken to a bowl and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil and all vegetables to Dutch oven. Saute over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until onions and garlic are translucent, about 5 - 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and dump chicken into vegetable mix, still stirring constantly. Saute together for about 3 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth into the chicken veggie mix. Add the spices and stir thoroughly. Reduce heat to medium-low and keep on heat (it shouldn't actually bubble at all) for 15 minutes. Taste the broth; it may need more spices (I didn't exactly measure the first time). If more spice is needed, they should be added in this order: white pepper, dill, coriander. Tarragon should be the dominant flavor, with the others more subtle. Soup will be ready to serve after the 15-minute simmering, but letting it heat for another 15 minutes or so won't hurt.