Chocolate Pastry CreamFrom hopscotch 5 years ago
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk shopping list
- 2 oz. semi-sweet, melted shopping list
- 3 egg yolks shopping list
- ¼ cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cocoa powder shopping list
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch shopping list
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract shopping list
How to make it
- In a small saucepan, warm the milk over low heat until it is just hot enough to steam. While the milk is warming, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, flour, cocoa powder, and cornstarch until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Once the milk is steaming, add the melted chocolate to it and whisk until it is fully incorporated into the milk. Add half of the chocolate milk, whisking constantly, to the egg mixture. Add the milk and eggs back into the hot milk, continue stirring, and heat it for 1-2 minutes, until the custard reaches 170F on a digital thermometer and is very thick. Remove from the heat, stir in the vanilla extract, and chill before filling pastry.
- This chocolate pastry cream recipe makes approximately 2 cups flavored cream.
- (if you like this sort of recipe, then visit about.com under French Pastries)