New Years Black-Eyed Pea GumboFrom carmenbigred 6 years ago
- 1/3c. olive oil shopping list
- 1/3c. all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2tbs. olive oil shopping list
- 1 bag. frozen okra shopping list
- 1c. chopped onion shopping list
- 3/4c. chopped celery shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced shopping list
- 4c. vegetable or chicken broth shopping list
- 1 can. diced tomatoes shopping list
- 1/3c. chopped fresh parsley shopping list
- pinch of salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme shopping list
- 1/4tsp. cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1/4tsp. ground white pepper shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1/2lb. cooked ham, cubed shopping list
- 2-1/2c. cooked black eyed peas; according to dry pea directions shopping list
How to make it
- Heat 1/3c. oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, and whisk in flour. Whisking constantly, cook 5 to 7 minutes, until a golden brown roux has formed.
- Heat 2tbs. oil in a large, heavy Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Stir in okra, onion, celery, and garlic, and cook 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Thoroughly blend roux into the vegetable mixture. Stir in broth, tomatoes, parsley, salt, thyme, cayenne pepper, white pepper, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in ham, and continue cooking for 15 minutes, until tender.
- Stir in black-eyed peas, and continue cooking until heated through.