Aroostook Potato And Broccoli SoupFrom karlyn255 6 years ago
- * 4 cups peeled and diced all-purpose potatoes (about 4 medium) shopping list
- * 2 cups chicken stock or 2 chicken bouillon cubes and 2 cups water shopping list
- * 1 large head broccoli, stalks removed, roughly chopped shopping list
- * 1 cup milk shopping list
- * 1 cup light cream shopping list
- * 1 cup grated cheddar cheese or 6 slices American cheese shopping list
- * salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- * 1 tablespoon butter (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- In a medium saucepan, cook potatoes in lightly salted water, covered, 10 to 15 minutes, until tender.
- In a large saucepan, combine the chicken stock (or dissolve bouillon cubes in water over medium heat) and broccoli.
- Cook, covered, about 10 minutes, until broccoli is very tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Using a large spoon, chop the broccoli into fairly small pieces against the side of the pot.
- Drain the potatoes.
- Place about 1 cup potatoes on a saucer and mash well with a fork. (These will thicken the soup.)
- Add the mashed potatoes and remaining chopped cooked potatoes to the broccoli mixture, along with the milk and cream.
- Heat gently until hot but not boiling.
- Add the cheese and stir gently until melted and well blended.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste; add the butter, if necessary.
- I add a little garlic also