Sweet And Sour CabbageFrom emmgee 5 years ago
- 1 head cabbage (Red and Green are traditional, Napa and Chinese work too) shopping list
- 4 c. water shopping list
- 1 1/2 c apple cider vinegar shopping list
- 1c brown sugar shopping list
- 4 tbsp butter (can sub bacon grease, but butter makes the S&S flavor cleaner) shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp pepper (White or Black) shopping list
- 1 small onion (chopped) shopping list
How to make it
- Add all liquids to a pan and bring to a boil.
- Chop the onions in a diced fashion.
- Cut cabbage head into 4 sections, then slice each of the 4 sections, to make a thicker shredded consistency.
- Add all ingredients into the boiling water. Cover and simmer 45 minutes to an hour at most.
- Cabbage is done when the cabbage stems are soft.
- If you like, you may drain the water and save it. It makes a sauce if you add corn starch and simmer it. This adds more tang to the cabbage... or if you are having rice also.