Chicken Vegetable Soup With NoodlesFrom windy1950 7 years ago
- 5-6 good sized bone-in chicken thighs shopping list
- 1 46oz can low sodium chicken broth + enough water to make 1/2 gallon of liquid shopping list
- 2 large onions, medium dice shopping list
- 4-5 stalks celery, medium dice shopping list
- 1 lb bag, frozen peas & carrots blend shopping list
- Mrs Dash Original seasoning, to taste shopping list
- 1/4 tsp poultry seasoning shopping list
- salt, to taste shopping list
- black pepper, to taste shopping list
- 1/2 lb medium wide egg noodles shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Cook chicken thighs in broth and water until thoroughly done and falling off the bone. Lift meat out of the broth and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- 2. While chicken is cooling, add the onions, celery, frozen veggies and seasonings into the broth. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down and let simmer.
- 3. Remove meat from the bones, grizzle and skin. Dice the meat and then add it back into the broth, and stir.
- 4. Add noodles to the pot and bring to a boil. Cook until the noodles are done, that is, for probably 8 to 10 minutes.
- 5. Serve with sandwiches, or with a good crusty bread or crackers. Ma likes those little "soup 'n' chili" crackers.
- NOTE: If you plan on freezing any of this, take out a portion of it before adding the noodles. Then when you decide to use the frozen leftover, just add noodles to it then. It's a personal thing, but I don't like the texture of noodles that have been frozen and recooked.
- NOTE: It really makes a difference in the flavor, cooking this recipe with chicken that still has the skin and bones. But if boneless, skinless is all you have, you can enhance the flavor by using some chicken soup base. Just wait until the very end of cooking time to add salt, if any at all.