Apple Onion Dressing For PoultryFrom otterpond 5 years ago
- --- QUICK broth --- shopping list
- 4 cup water shopping list
- turkey neck and giblets shopping list
- 1 small stalk celery, raw shopping list
- 1/2 lemon shopping list
- 2 tsp Tabasco sauce shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary shopping list
- --- THE STUFFING --- shopping list
- 1 package Stuffing Mix shopping list
- 2 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 3 large stalk Raw celery shopping list
- 1/2 cup Minced onion shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic Clove shopping list
- 1 medium apple Granny Smith apple shopping list
- 1/4 cup parsley shopping list
- 2 tbsp Poultry Seasoning shopping list
How to make it
- If you aren't actually cooking a turkey when you make this stuffing just substitute canned chicken or vegetable broth for the Quick Broth preparations. But when you are making a turkey this is a simple broth that will add extra flavor to the dressing and use up all the vegetable scraps.
- The Quick Broth:
- Put the water on to boil and toss in the turkey neck. Clean all the celery and peel the apple for the stuffing then throw the scraps from trimming the celery and the apple peel into the pot. Add a pinch of salt, a dash of tabasco, a sprig of rosemary and half of a Lemon. Let the broth boil down to about half. Strain and let the broth cool.
- The Stuffing:
- Put a good sized skillet on the stove, heat to medium high add olive oil and saute the minced onion, celery and garlic. After the celery is slightly softened, add the chopped apple to the pan. Continue to saute for another five minutes then remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Pour the bag of stuffing mix into a very large bowl. Add the Poultry Seasoning and toss. Next add the sauteed veggies, chopped fresh parsley and apples and toss again. Ladle in the broth and toss after each ladle. You are aiming at even distribution and making sure the stuffing is moist but not soggy.
- The recipe yields about 4 cups of stuffing. Do not over nor under pack the bird. An under-packed bird will be impossibly soggy from the grease of the turkey. An over-packed bird will take forever to cook through.
- To prepare Stuffing as a side dish, put the stuffing mix in an oven-proof casserole, seal with aluminum foil and bake at 375 for 40 minutes.