Split Pea Soup Lentil SoupFrom ttaaccoo 7 years ago
- 2 1/2 cups (1 lb.) split peas or lentils shopping list
- 8 cups cold water shopping list
- 3 bouillon cubes shopping list
- 1 medium onion or 5 Thai shallots, chopped shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram shopping list
- 8-10 "pork ice cubes"--see my split pea Soup recipe for this process.f shopping list
- 2 carrots, chopped or sliced shopping list
- 2 celery stalks, sliced shopping list
- 1 medium onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons barley shopping list
- 1/2 cup chicken stock shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dry onion powder shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dry garlic powder shopping list
- 3/4/teaspoon fish sauce shopping list
How to make it
- Wash peas or lentils in a shallow dish , pick out foreign objects, and change water until it runs clear. Place in a soup pot, and add the water. Turn the heat up medium high, and continue adding the chopped onion, barley and marjoram. When it reaches a boil, decrease heat so that it will simmer with a lid. Stir occasionally. Simmer 1 hour. the split peas and/or lentils should be softening.
- Throw in the pork icecubes, carrots celery another onion, and add water or stock as the soup thickens. Continue simmering, lidded, check now and then, checking the barley's softness, and add liquids
- Fine tune the flavors with the onion and garlic powders and the fish sauce and serve. Freezes well.
The Cookttaaccoo Buffalo, NY
- Not added to any groups yet!