Savory Fried PolentaFrom windy1950 4 years ago
- 1/2 lb bacon, 1/2" dice shopping list
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 3 cups cornmeal (polenta) shopping list
- 1 15oz can cream style corn shopping list
- 1/4 cup freeze dried chives shopping list
- salt, to taste shopping list
- fresh cracked pepper, to taste shopping list
- Coarse grind garlic, to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Fry the bacon in a small stockpot until crisp and brown; scoop bacon out onto a plate and reserve. Pour the chicken broth into the pot and bring to just below the boiling point; set the pot off the burner. Very gradually add polenta to the broth, stirring constantly.
- Combine bacon, corn and chives with the polenta; place back on the burner and cook over low heat
- Adjust seasonings; when the mixture is smooth and does not taste raw, usually after cooking for 20 to 30 minutes, it is ready and can be spooned onto a plate for serving.
- The mixture can also be dropped by small scoopsful into very hot fat and fried like hushpuppies.
- It can also be poured into a flat baking pan to cool and firm. This mixture can be baked in the oven for 20 minutes, or sliced and fried.
The Cookwindy1950 Flint, MI
The Rating1 people
an interesting variation on polenta! i would have to veggify this (nix bacon - maybe portabella pieces instead? & veggie broth) but looks yummy! Thanks for sharing :)aluminum_chef in Montreal loved it