Cream Of Turnip SoupFrom windy1950 6 years ago
- 1/4 lb bacon, medium dice shopping list
- 1 large onion, medium dice shopping list
- 4 stalks celery, medium dice shopping list
- 2 lbs fresh turnips, peeled and medium dice shopping list
- Handful of turnip greens, cleaned and chopped shopping list
- 1 (46 oz) can chicken broth shopping list
- 1 to 3 tsps ground horseradish (optional) shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
- instant potato flakes, as needed shopping list
- Your choice of shredded cheese, for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- In an 8 qt stockpot, brown the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Scoop the bacon out of the pot with a slotted spoon onto paper toweling; reserve.
- Drain off some of the bacon fat and reserve for another use. Add the onions and celery to the pot, and cook until crisp tender.
- Add the turnips, turnip greens, chicken broth, horseradish and seasonings. Add water, if necessary, to bring the liquid level at least to the top of the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn the burner to low and cover with vented lid. Cook until turnips are done, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking and scorching.
- Add just enough potato flakes to thicken to a creamed soup consistency. Heat through.
- When serving, add a tablespoon or so of shredded cheese, if desired.