Tom Kha with Meat Of Your ChoiceFrom clhurley 5 years ago
- 28 ounces good Asian chicken stock shopping list
- 3-4 stalks lemongrass, bruised and cut into 1-2″ pieces shopping list
- 8-16 red Thai birds eye chilis, whole, crushed, or sliced in half lengthwise shopping list
- 10 small kaffir lime leaves, torn in half shopping list
- 12 slices galangal shopping list
- 28 ounces coconut milk shopping list
- 1 little patty palm sugar, about 1 tablespoon shopping list
- fish sauce, starting with about a teaspoon shopping list
- 6 large white mushrooms, sliced thin shopping list
- Small lime per bowl of soup shopping list
- cilantro, chopped fine, for garnish/taste shopping list
- green onions, sliced fine, for garnish/taste shopping list
- ...For tom kha tofu: 6 ounces firm tofu, cut into small cubes shopping list
- ...For tom kha gai: 1-2 chicken breasts, cut into small pieces shopping list
- 1 egg white shopping list
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch shopping list
- 3 cups water shopping list
- 2 tablespoons oil shopping list
- ...For tom kha goong: shopping list
- 6 ounces raw shrimp shopping list
How to make it
- To velvet chicken, if making tom kha gai:
- Lightly beat egg white and combine with cornstarch. Toss the chicken strips or cubes in this mixture, then cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.Heat the water and oil in a pot or a wok, until it’s hot enough that a piece of chicken floats to the top when you put it inches Put the chicken in, in shifts if you have to to keep it from crowding, and cook until it’s white, about 30 seconds. If you’re not using the chicken straight away, refrigerate it until you do.
- ...Otherwise: Boil lemongrass, chilis, lime leaves, and galangal in chicken stock for five to ten minutes.
- Add coconut milk and season with palm sugar and fish sauce. Taste and add more fish sauce for saltiness, palm sugar for complex sweetness. Add in mushrooms and simmer for about five minutes.
- Add in either tofu, shrimp, or chicken and simmer about five more minutes to warm through (and cook shrimp til pink).
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro and green onions. Squeeze half of one small lime into each bowl, adding the juice of the other half if desired.