NEW YORK-STYLE CRUMB CAKE MUFFINSFrom choclytcandy 6 years ago
- Crumb Topping shopping list
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (2 2/3 ounces) shopping list
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar (2 2/3 ounces) shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt shopping list
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), melted and still warm shopping list
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour (7 ounces) shopping list
- Muffins shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour (5 ounces) shopping list
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (3 1/2 ounces) shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt shopping list
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick), cut into 6 pieces, softened but still cool shopping list
- 1 large egg shopping list
- 1 large egg yolk shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/3 cup buttermilk shopping list
- confectioners' sugar for dusting shopping list
How to make it
- Note: Don't be tempted to substitute all-purpose flour for the cake flour, as doing so will make a dry, tough muffin. If you can't find buttermilk, you can substitute an equal amount of plain, low-fat yogurt. When topping the muffins, take care to not push the crumbs into the batter. Cooled leftovers can be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- 1. FOR THE TOPPING: Whisk sugars, cinnamon, salt, and butter in medium bowl to combine. Add flour and stir with rubber spatula or wooden spoon until mixture resembles thick, cohesive dough; set aside to cool to room temperature, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 2. FOR THE MUFFINS: Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Line standard-sized muffin pan (cups have 1/2 cup capacity) with baking-cup liners.
- 3. In bowl of standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt on low speed to combine. With mixer running at low speed, add butter one piece at a time; continue beating until mixture resembles moist crumbs, with no visible butter chunks remaining, 1 to 2 minutes. Add egg, yolk, vanilla, and buttermilk; beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute, scraping once if necessary.
- 4. Using 1/4-cup measure or ice cream scoop, divide batter evenly among muffin cups; using small rubber spatula, spread batter into even layer. Following photos below, break apart crumb topping into large pea-sized pieces and spread in even layer over batter (about 1/4 cup of crumbs per muffin), beginning with edges and then working toward center. Bake until crumbs are golden and wooden skewer inserted into center of muffin comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool muffins in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack at least 20 minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving.
- Secrets to Bigger Crumbs:
- Using both hands, break apart the crumb dough, rolling the broken dough between your thumb and forefinger to form crumbs about the size of large peas. Continue until all the dough has been broken down into crumbs. Sprinkle crumbs evenly over the cake batter, breaking apart any larger chunks.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!