TURKEY SOUP WITH POTATOES LINGUICA AND KALEFrom choclytcandy 6 years ago
- Basic turkey stock shopping list
- 1 turkey carcass from 12- to 14-pound turkey, cut into 4 or 5 rough pieces to fit into pot shopping list
- 1 large onion , peeled and halved shopping list
- 1 large carrot , peeled and chopped coarse shopping list
- 1 large rib celery , about 4 ounces, chopped coarse shopping list
- 3 medium cloves garlic , unpeeled and smashed shopping list
- 2 cups dry white wine shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 5 sprigs fresh parsley leaves shopping list
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme shopping list
- Soup shopping list
- 2 pounds boiling potatoes , unpeeled and cut into 1-inch pieces shopping list
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh savory leaves shopping list
- 12 ounces linguiça sausage , cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds shopping list
- 1 bunch kale (about 12 ounces), washed, stems removed, and leaves cut into 1/4-inch strips (about 9 cups, packed) shopping list
How to make it
- Note: Linguiça is a garlicky Portuguese sausage. Chorizo sausage can be used instead.
- 1. For Stock: Bring turkey carcass, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, wine, bay leaf, and 4 1/2 quarts water to boil in 12-quart stockpot over medium-high heat, skimming fat or foam that rises to surface. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 2 hours, continuing to skim surface as necessary. Add parsley and thyme; continue to simmer until stock is rich and flavorful, about 2 hours longer, continuing to skim surface as necessary.
- 2. Strain stock through large-mesh strainer into large bowl or container; remove meat from strained solids, shred into bite-sized pieces, and set aside; discard solids in strainer. Cool stock slightly, about 20 minutes; spoon fat from surface. Use stock immediately or cool to room temperature, cover, and refrigerate up to 2 days.
- 3. For Soup: Bring turkey stock to simmer in large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, savory, and 1 teaspoon salt; cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Off heat, mash potatoes in broth with potato masher until no large chunks remain and potatoes thicken soup slightly. Return to medium-high heat, add sausage and reserved shredded turkey meat from stock; bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer to blend flavors, about 15 minutes. Add kale and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes longer. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper; serve immediately.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!