Italian Pasta And Bean Soup Pasta E FagioliFrom choclytcandy 7 years ago
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling shopping list
- 3 ounces pancetta or bacon, chopped fine shopping list
- 1 medium onion , chopped fine (about 1 cup) shopping list
- 1 medium rib celery , chopped fine (about 2/3 cup) shopping list
- 4 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 heaping tablespoon) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes shopping list
- 3 anchovy fillets , minced to paste (about 1 teaspoon) shopping list
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes with liquid shopping list
- 1 piece parmesan cheese rind , about 5 inches by 2 inches shopping list
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans , drained and rinsed shopping list
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth shopping list
- salt shopping list
- 8 ounces orzo or other small pasta (ditalini, tubetini, conchigliette) shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves shopping list
- ground black pepper shopping list
- 2 ounces grated parmesan cheese (about 1 cup) shopping list
How to make it
- Note: This soup does not hold well because the pasta absorbs the liquid, becomes mushy, and leaves the soup dry. The soup can, however, be made in two stages. Once the beans are simmered with the tomatoes, before the broth and water are added, the mixture can be cooled and refrigerated for up to 3 days. When ready to complete the soup, discard the Parmesan rind (otherwise it will become stringy), add the liquid, bring the soup to a boil, and proceed with the recipe.
- 1. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking, about 2 minutes. Add pancetta and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, and anchovies; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan. Add cheese rind and beans; bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer to blend flavors, 10 minutes. Add chicken broth, 2 1/2 cups water, and 1 teaspoon salt; increase heat to high and bring to boil. Add pasta and cook until tender, about 10 minutes (refer to package instructions to better estimate pasta cooking time).
- 2. Discard cheese rind. Off heat, stir in 3 tablespoons parsley; adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into individual bowls; drizzle each serving with olive oil and sprinkle with a portion of remaining parsley. Serve immediately, passing grated Parmesan separately.
- Variation: add 1 medium fennel bulb, sliced lengthwise, 2 teaspoons grated orange zest and 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!