Cranberry And Cornmeal Cake With Caramel-walnut Topping SauceFrom choclytcandy 5 years ago
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for the pan shopping list
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting the pan shopping list
- 1/2 cup yellow fine cornmeal shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking powder shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt shopping list
- 1/4 cup orange zest (from 2 large oranges) shopping list
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups sugar shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 4 large egg yolks shopping list
- 2 large eggs shopping list
- caramel walnut Sauce, recipe follows shopping list
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream shopping list
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, optional shopping list
How to make it
- Put an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and orange zest. Measure 3 tablespoons of the flour mixture into a small bowl. Add the chopped cranberries and toss until coated. Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the vanilla extract. Add the egg yolks and whole eggs, 1 at a time. Gradually add the flour mixture and mix until just incorporated. Using a spatula, gently fold in the cranberries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the surface with a spatula. Bake until the cake is golden brown, and a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool for 20 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut the cake into wedges, arrange on a serving platter and serve with the Caramel Walnut Sauce. (The cake can be made 1 day ahead. Store airtight in a plastic container.)
- Note from Food Network Kitchens: Due to your comments we have retested and changed this recipe. It may not match exactly what the chef did on the show.
- Caramel-Walnut Sauce
- For the Caramel-Walnut Topping Sauce: In a medium saucepan, mix together the cream, brown sugar, and butter over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and simmer until the mixture thickens, about 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in the walnuts and sea salt, if using. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature before serving.
- Yield: 2 cups
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 to 30 minutes
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!