Jamaican Rice and PeasFrom choclytcandy 4 years ago
- 2 tablespoons canola oil shopping list
- 1 small onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger shopping list
- 2 cups long grain white rice, such as jasmine shopping list
- One 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed shopping list
- 1/2 Scotch bonnet or habanero chile, seeded shopping list
- One 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups water shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced shopping list
How to make it
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onion and ginger and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, until coated with the oil. Stir in the kidney beans and Scotch bonnet, then stir in the coconut milk and water. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 18 minutes.
- Remove the rice from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Stir in the scallions and season with salt and black pepper. Discard the Scotch bonnet and serve.
- MAKE AHEAD
- The rice and peas can be refrigerated overnight.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!