Pressure-Cooker Smashed Red Potatoes with Garlic and ChivesFrom choclytcandy 7 years ago
- Pressure-Cooker Smashed red potatoes with garlic and chives shopping list
- Smashed potatoes are the rustic version of creamy, smooth-textured mashed potatoes. They have the same great flavor, but with a fraction of the work, since the potatoes don’t need to be peeled. Could we make our favorite version of smashed potatoes even faster in a pressure cooker? Here’s what we discovered: shopping list
- Cook the potatoes with garlic cloves and a bay leaf in a minimum of salted water over high pressure. Drain the potatoes, and then return them to the pot and cook them briefly over medium heat to evaporate any extra moisture. The goal is to have the potatoes as dry as possible prior to adding the butter and cream. shopping list
- Make sure to melt the butter before adding it to the potatoes for the silkiest texture. shopping list
How to make it
- For this rustic, country-style side dish, there is no need to peel the potatoes.
- 2 pounds red potatoes (6 medium), scrubbed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic , peeled
- Table salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick), melted
- Hot water
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Ground black pepper
- 1. Place the potatoes, water, bay leaf, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in the pressure cooker. Lock the lid in place and bring to high pressure over high heat. Cook for exactly 8 minutes, adjusting the heat as needed to maintain high pressure.
- 2. Remove the pressure cooker from the heat and quick release the pressure. Carefully remove the lid, allowing the steam to escape away from you. Drain the potatoes and garlic in a colander and toss gently to remove any excess water. Discard the bay leaf.
- 3. Return the potatoes and garlic to the pressure cooker and cook, uncovered, over medium heat until any excess water has evaporated, about 1 minute.
- 4. Off the heat, mash the potatoes to a chunky consistency. Gently stir in the cream cheese and melted butter until just combined. Stir in hot water as necessary to adjust the consistency of the potatoes. Before serving, stir in the chives and season with salt and pepper to taste.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!