SPICY THAI-STYLE SHRIMP SOUPFrom choclytcandy 7 years ago
- The broth (through step 1) can be prepared up to 2 days in advance. Just remember to withhold the lime juice until the last moment; otherwise, its flavor and aroma will dissipate. If you can locate lemon grass at the market, feel free to add a stalk to the broth, trimmed of its fibrous top and bruised with the flat side of a knife. For maximum heat, do not seed the chiles. shopping list
- 5 1/4 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 1 piece fresh ginger (1/2-inch), cut in half and smashed (see illustration below) shopping list
- 2 large cloves garlic , lightly crushed with skins on shopping list
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce shopping list
- 4 - 6 cilantro stems, including roots, plus 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves shopping list
- 1 teaspoon sugar shopping list
- 2 medium jalapeño chiles , stemmed and sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch rings shopping list
- 2 medium tomatoes , cored and chopped coarse shopping list
- 1/2 pound cremini mushroom , oyster, or button mushrooms, wiped clean and quartered (or cut into sixths if large) shopping list
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp (about 41 to 50 per pound), peeled shopping list
- 3 tablespoons juice from 2 limes shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Bring the broth, ginger, garlic, fish sauce, cilantro stems, sugar, half of the sliced chiles, and one-quarter of the chopped tomatoes to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Strain the broth through a fine-mesh strainer into a large bowl, pushing on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible.
- 2. Return the broth to the pan and bring it to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and the remaining chiles and cook for 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook for 1 minute longer. Remove the soup from the heat and add the lime juice. Evenly portion the remaining chopped tomato and the chopped cilantro among individual bowls and ladle the soup over top. Serve immediately.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!