COCONUT-CARDAMOM BAKED RICE CASSEROLEFrom choclytcandy 6 years ago
- We prefer the fragrant flavor of jasmine rice in this variation, but you can substitute conventional long-grain white rice. For more heat, include the jalapeño seeds and ribs when mincing, The sauce for this variation does not require any flour. shopping list
- INGREDIENTS shopping list
- Topping shopping list
- 1 cup roasted unsalted cashews shopping list
- 4 slices high-quality white sandwich bread , torn into quarters shopping list
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted shopping list
- rice shopping list
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 medium onion , minced shopping list
- 2 jalapeño chiles , seeds and ribs removed, chile minced (see note) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger , minced or grated shopping list
- 2 medium garlic cloves , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 teaspoons) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom shopping list
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 4 cups coconut milk shopping list
- 2 cups water shopping list
- 3 cups jasmine rice shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper shopping list
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves , minced shopping list
- 1 lime , cut into wedges shopping list
How to make it
- 1. FOR THE TOPPING: Process the cashews in a food processor until coarsely ground, 5 to 10 seconds. Add the bread and butter and pulse until coarsely ground, about 6 pulses; set aside.
- 2. FOR THE RICE: Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees. Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeños, and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the ginger, garlic, and cardamom and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 3. Whisk in the broth, coconut milk, and water until smooth, and bring to a simmer. Stir in the rice, salt, and pepper and return to a simmer. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring often, until the rice has absorbed much of the liquid and is just tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 4. Pour the rice mixture into a 13 by 9-inch baking dish and sprinkle with the bread crumb topping. Bake until the topping is browned and the casserole is bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 5. Remove the rice from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the cilantro and serve with the lime wedges.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!