MEDITERRANEAN-STYLE SHRIMP AND ORZO CASSEROLEFrom choclytcandy 7 years ago
- Make sure that the orzo is al dente, or slightly firm to the bite; otherwise it may overcook in the oven. If you don’t have saffron, ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric can add a similar orange-ish color, but not the flavor. Be careful not to add too much turmeric because its flavor is bitter when used in excessive amounts. shopping list
- PLANNING AHEAD: This recipe cannot be made ahead or frozen. shopping list
- INGREDIENTS shopping list
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp (31 to 40 count), peeled and deveined shopping list
- salt and ground black pepper shopping list
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 medium red onion , minced shopping list
- 1 large red bell pepper , stemmed, seeded, and chopped fine shopping list
- 6 medium garlic cloves , minced or pressed through a garlic press shopping list
- 1 pound orzo shopping list
- 1 large pinch saffron shopping list
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest and 2 tablespoons lemon juice shopping list
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes , drained shopping list
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano leaves shopping list
- 12 ounces feta cheese , crumbled into large pieces (about 3 cups) shopping list
- 4 scallions , white and light green parts only, sliced thin shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees. Season the shrimp generously with salt and pepper; set aside.
- 2. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion, pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened and beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the orzo, saffron, and lemon zest; cook, stirring frequently, until the orzo is coated with oil and lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Stir in the broth and water; cook, stirring occasionally, until the grains of orzo are mostly tender yet still slightly firm at the center, about 12 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, oregano, and seasoned shrimp.
- 3. Pour into a 9 by 13-inch baking dish (or a shallow casserole dish of similar size). Sprinkle the feta over the top and bake until the shrimp are cooked through and the cheese is lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with the lemon juice and garnish with the scallions. Serve immediately.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!