Roasted Whole Duck - Basic RecipeFrom duckgirl574 5 years ago
- 1 Maple Leaf Farms Whole duck (5-6 lbs), defrosted shopping list
- boiling water shopping list
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp Freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 tsp paprika shopping list
- 1 orange, cut in quarters shopping list
- 1 Head garlic, paper removed and top trimmed shopping list
- 2 celery Stalks, cut into 2" pieces shopping list
How to make it
- Make sure duck is thoroughly defrosted, if frozen. (Defrost in refrigerator for 2-3 days.) Start a large pot of water (deep enough to submerge a whole duck) on the stove, bringing to a rolling boil. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove duck from bag. Remove orange sauce packet (if included), giblets and neck from interior. Save giblets and neck for making stock. Remove and discard excess fat from body cavity and neck. Rinse duck inside and out under cool running water. Pat duck dry. With a sharp fork, prick skin all over, being careful not to pierce the meat (if meat is pierced, it will dry out). Carefully put the duck in the pot of boiling water; boil for 10 minutes. Remove duck and let cool. Pat duck dry.
- Mix the salt, pepper and paprika. Rub the duck inside and out with the spice mixture. Place the duck on a rack in a roasting pan breast side up. Stuff the orange quarters, whole head of garlic and cut celery pieces into the cavity of the duck. Fold the neck skin under, covering the cavity. Secure with a skewer.
- Place the roasting pan in the oven. After 15 minutes, lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees. After 45 minutes, remove duck from oven. Remove any fat that may have collected in the bottom of the roasting pan. Carefully turn duck over, place back on rack in roasting pan, and return to oven for 35 minutes. At the end of the 35 minutes, remove duck from oven, remove any fat that may have accumulated, and carefully turn duck back over so breast side faces up. Return to oven. If you have a 5 pound duck, cook for another 15 minutes; for a 6 pound duck, cook for another 20 minutes (total cooking time should add up to about 22 minutes per pound). Be careful not to overcook. The internal temperature should be 175 degrees at the thickest part of the leg and thigh joint. Remove duck from oven.
- Transfer duck to a cutting board and let stand 15 minutes. Remove oranges and celery from cavity and throw away. Remove head of garlic; roasted head of garlic can be used as a great spread for bread.
- Carve duck and serve.