Sweet Potato Cake With Cream Cheese IcingFrom choclytcandy 3 years ago
- 2 pounds tan-skinned sweet potatoes (about 3 medium) shopping list
- 3 cups cake flour shopping list
- 2 teaspoons baking soda shopping list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 cup vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar shopping list
- 4 large eggs shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla shopping list
- ½ cup chopped pecans, toasted shopping list
- frosting shopping list
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature shopping list
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature shopping list
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted shopping list
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- ½ cup chopped pecans, toasted (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- For cake:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Pierce potatoes with fork; place on small baking sheet. Roast potatoes until soft, about 1 hour. Cool, peel, and mash potatoes. Measure 2 cups mashed potatoes; cool to lukewarm (reserve any remaining potatoes for another use). Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 2-inch-high sides. Sift flour and next 6 ingredients into medium bowl. Combine oil, 1 cup sugar, and brown sugar in large bowl; whisk until smooth. Whisk in eggs 1 at a time, then mashed sweet potatoes. Whisk in flour mixture in 3 additions. Stir in ½ cup pecans. Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes. Cool cakes completely in pans on racks.
- For frosting:
- Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in powdered sugar, scraping down bowl often. Beat in Grand Marnier and vanilla.
- Cut around pan sides; turn out cakes. Place 1 cake layer, flat side up, on platter. Spread 3/4 cup frosting over. Top with second cake layer, flat side down. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Garnish with pecans. Chill until frosting sets, at least 2 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with cake dome; keep chilled. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.)
- Makes 10 to 12 servings
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!