Beef And Kale SoupFrom stalwart 4 years ago
- 1 lb. beef shank cross-cuts shopping list
- 6 cups water OR 4 cups water and 2 cups beef broth shopping list
- 2/3 cup dry red kidney beans shopping list
- 8 oz. Chaurico OR your favorite smoked sausage, sliced in 3/4 to 1 inch slices shopping list
- 2/3 cup dry split peas shopping list
- 3 cups kale, torn shopping list
- NOTE: If you don't like kale or it upsets your stomach, then cabbage or any other green works well. shopping list
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 2 onions coarsely chopped into large chunks shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely or minced(optional) shopping list
How to make it
- In a Dutch oven, combine water and kidney beans.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cover.
- Let stand for 1 hour.
- In a skillet, brown beef shanks and sausage and drain well.
- Stir into undrained beans along with peas.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered for approximately 2 hours.
- Remove beef shanks and when cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones. Discard bones and return meat to pan.
- Add kale, potatoes, onions and garlic.
- Simmer, covered for 30 minutes.
- Serves 4-6