Vanilla Bean Ice CreamFrom Kimskitchen 5 years ago
How to make it
- In a large saucepan combine milk and heavy cream.
- Split vanilla beans lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds using a small paring knife and put seeds and pods into milk mixture. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and allow to steep for 30 minutes.
- In a medium stainless steel bowl, combine yolks and sugar, whisk for 2 to 3 minutes until it reaches a pale yellow color, and the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Reheat milk mixture until very hot (do not boil), and slowly pour about a third of it into eggs, while whisking constantly. Pour this mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining milk.
- Over medium heat, stir constantly with a wooden spoon until thick and coats back of spoon. DO NOT LET BOIL.
- Remove bean pods and allow cooling in a large bowl to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate for at least two hours (better if over night).
- Using ice cream machine, process mixture according to manufacturer's directions.
- * Replace sugar with 3/4 cup honey.
- *Add 1 1/2 tsp. rosewater to cooled mixture before processing.
- *Whisk in 1 cup malted milk to mixture when just taken off heat before chilling.
The CookKimskitchen Nashville, NC
- Not added to any groups yet!