Vegetarian shepherds pieFrom omshivs 9 years ago
- For the mash topping: shopping list
- 700g/1lb 9oz floury potaotes, peeled and cut into chunks shopping list
- 150ml/¼ pint milk shopping list
- 85g/3 oz Wensleydale cheese, crumbled shopping list
- For the vegetables shopping list
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed shopping list
- 1 stick of celery, chopped shopping list
- 1 leek, halved and sliced shopping list
- 1 carrot, diced shopping list
- 420g can mixed beans, drained and rinsed shopping list
- 400g can chopped tomatoes shopping list
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs shopping list
- 1 tsp tomato purée shopping list
- 1/2 tspn chilli powder (optional) shopping list
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional) shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Cook the potatoes in a pan of lightly salted boiling water until tender.
- Meanwhile heat the oil add the onion, garlic, celery, leek and carrot and fry gently for 10 minutes.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, cayenne (if using) herbs, chilli powder and tomato purée with 3 tbsp water. Season to taste and simmer for 5 minutes.
- When the potatoes are cooked drain and heat the milk to boiling point. Pour the milk over the potatoes and mash until smooth. Season to taste. Beat in half the cheese.
- Spoon the beans and tomato mixture into an ovenproof dish and top with the cheesy mash. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Cook for 20 minutes until the topping is golden brown.
- Enjoy!! :)
The Cookomshivs London, GB
The Rating2 people
Made for St Pats and it was better than I expected.
Substituted Cheddar for the cheese.
For spices, added oregano and cumin.
Only used 1 fresh tomato, no canned or puree.
Used 1 can of black beans.elbows in Arlington va loved it
I just tried to make this. I had to make some substitutions and I didn't have enough potatoes. But it's cooking at the moment, and I'll let you know how it turns out.
ETA: I made so many substitutions that it barely resembled ...morejayac in Perth loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!