Walnut KetchupFrom choclytcandy 6 years ago
How to make it
- Pierce each nut about 6 times with a large needle, and put the nuts into a 2-quart jar. Dissolve 2 tbs of salt in 1-quart boiling water, and pour the water over the nuts. Cap the jar, and leave it at room temperature for 3 days.
- Drain off the water. Dissolve another 2 tbs salt in 1-quart boiling water, and pour this over the nuts. Repeat the process 3 days later.
- Nine days after first putting the nuts in the jar, drain them, and leave them in a colander in the sum for 2 to 3 days to blacken. Bring them in at night and in wet weather. Turn them occasionally.
- In a blender, grind the nuts with the vinegar (or pound them in a large mortar). Return the nuts to the 2-quart jar, and close it tightly with a nonreactive cap. Leave the jar at room temperature for 1 week, shaking it or stirring the contents daily.
- Strain the walnut-vinegar through a jelly bag, squeezing the bag to extract all the liquid. In a blender or mortar, grind the garlic and spices with a little of the walnut liquid. Combine the puree with the remaining liquid in a nonreactive saucepan and simmer the mixture for 15 minutes.
- Pour the hot liquid into sterile bottles, and seal them with nonreactive caps or with corks. Store the bottles in a cool, dry, dark place.
- Makes 3 to 31/2 cups.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!