Chicken And Dumplings Like Cracker Barrel RecipeFrom trucker_mama 5 years ago
- 1 whole frying chicken, shopping list
- 2 quarts water, shopping list
- 2 teaspoons salt, shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, shopping list
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, shopping list
- 3 tablespoons shortening, shopping list
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, shopping list
How to make it
- Place chicken in a Dutch oven. Add water and 2 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 1 hour or until tender (should almost fall off bone).
- Remove the chicken from the broth and cool. Bone the chicken and cut meat into bite-sized pieces. Bring the broth to a boil and add pepper.
- For Dumplings: Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the shortening. Add the buttermilk, stirring with a fork until moistened. Knead the dough 4 to 5 times (never done), and pat to 1/2-inch pieces and drop into boiling broth (I do not pat it out, just pinch off pieces). Reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the chicken and serve.
- I make it in the pressure cooker, much quicker and easier. I pressure it for only 30 minutes.
The Cooktrucker_mama Arizona City, AZ
- Not added to any groups yet!