Tortilla SoupFrom sweetstacia 3 years ago
- 1 whole roasted chicken ( purchased one from the market ) shopping list
- 3 carrots, chopped shopping list
- 3 celery stalks, chopped shopping list
- 3 red onions, chopped shopping list
- 3 jalepenos, roughly chopped shopping list
- 1 bunch of cilantro, leaves shopping list
- 1-2 T cumin shopping list
- 1 can rotel shopping list
- 2 cups cooked white rice shopping list
- 2-3 chopped tomatoes shopping list
- 2 avacados, diced for garnish shopping list
- shredded cheese for garnish shopping list
- tortilla chips crumbled, to garnish shopping list
- lime, to garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Remove the breast and thigh meat from the roasted chicken and set aside in the fridge.
- Place the whole chicken in the stock pot along with the carrots, celery, 2 of the diced red onions, all jalepenos, half of the cilantro leaves and salt and pepper to your taste.
- Fill the stock pot with water, until the chicken is completely covered.
- Simmer on med-low heat for 2 hrs or until the remainder of the chicken falls off the bone.
- Remove broth from stove and strain into a large bowl, (i usually discard the veggies and my puppies get the extra chicken! However, feel free to do what you want with it!!
- Add the broth back to the stock pot and return to the stove and a low heat.
- Add in the can of rotel, cumin and salt and pepper to taste to the broth.
- Let it simmer for 10-15 min.
- Dice the chicken you removed earlier and add to the broth.
- Add a large spoon or so rice to a bowl cover with your broth.
- Garnish with crumbled tortilla chips, diced avacados, tomatoes, red onions, cilantro leaves, shredded cheese and fresh lime juice.